No item in cart
Top 10 FAQs about the GATE Exam
Frequently Asked Questions about the GATE Exam
Following are the top 10 FAQs on the GATE exam.
Q: Why Should I Appear for the GATE exam?
A: Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is one of the most competitive exams in the engineering field. Securing a good score in the GATE exam enables you to pursue M.Tech from the top engineering institutions in India, such as, the IIITs, NITs, and the IISc. Moreover, many Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) in India hire candidates through GATE. The knowledge and skills that you gain when preparing for the exam would be useful for you throughout your career.
Q: Who Organize The GATE Exam?
The GATE exam is organised jointly by seven Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs) and the Indian Institute of Science (IIs) Bangalore. However, every year, one of these institutes holds the sole authority to set regulations of the exam and to declare the results. The eight zones include:
- Zone-1: IISc. Bangalore
- Zone-2: IIT Bombay
- Zone-3: IIT Delhi
- Zone-4: IIT Guwahati
- Zone-5: IIT Kanpur
- Zone-6: IIT Kharagpur
- Zone-7: IIT Madras
- Zone-8: IIT Roorkee
Q: What is the basic Pattern of GATE exam?
A: Candidates in all streams would appear for a single test paper, with 65 questions carrying 100 marks.
Q: How Much Time Do I Have To Finish The Test Paper?
A: You will get 3 hours to complete a set of 65 questions, according to GATE pattern.
Q: Which of the PSUs are Hiring through GATE Exam?
The following list of PSUs will be hiring through the GATE exam in :
- Power Grid, the central transmission utility (PGCIL)
- Container Corporation of India Ltd. (CONCOR)
- National Hydroelectric Power Corporation (NHPC)
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Mineral Exploration Corporation Limited (MECL)
- National Fertilizers Limited (NFL)
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- National Thermal Power Corporation (NICL)
- Gas Authority of India Limited (GAIL)
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL)
- Heavy Engineering Corporation Ltd (HECL)
- Delhi Development Authority (DDA)
- Metallurgical & Engineering Consultants (MECON)
- National Aluminium Company Limited (NALCO)
- Mazagon Dock Limited (MDL)
Q: How Many Times Can I Appear For GATE Exams?
A: There is no restriction or bar on the number of times you can appear for the GATE exam. You are eligible to appear for GATE, as long as you meet the academic eligibility criteria for the exam.
Q: What Are The Age Criteria to Appear For GATE Exams?
A: There is no age restriction to appear for the GATE exams. If you meet the academic criteria for taking the GATE exams, your age would not be taken into consideration.
Q: What Are the Academic Eligibility Criteria for the Exam?
A: Candidates who meet the following criteria are eligible to appear for the GATE exam:
- Bachelor’s degree holders who have a degree in Technology, Engineering, Pharmacy or Architecture. They can also appear for the GATE exam, if they are in the pre-final or final year of their Bachelor’s program.
- Master’s degree holders in Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Applications or those who have equivalent degrees are eligible to appear for GATE. Aspirants who are in their pre-final or final year exam can also apply.
- Aspirants who are in their second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree program (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering or Technology can appear for GATE.
- Candidates who are in their third or higher year of the Five-year Integrated Master’s degree program and Dual Degree program in Engineering or Technology can appear for GATE exam.
- Candidates who have obtained qualifications equivalent to B.E. or B.Tech through professional organizations, such as, UPSC and AICTE are eligible to appear for the GATE exam.
Q: How Much Time Do We Need To Prepare For GATE Exams?
A: This completely depends on the following three factors.
- Time spent for GATE preparation every day.
- The knowledge and the individual grasping ability.
- How well one wishes to score.
For those who would be able to spend only 2-3 hours of time every day to prepare for the exam should start preparations at least 4 months prior to the exam date.
Q: How to Crack the GATE exam?
A: There are various ways to prepare for the GATE exam. Different strategies work for different people. You can take help of former GATE toppers. One good idea would be to join a GATE coaching institute. Joining a course enables you to prepare in an organised way. You can get access to study materials and seek guidance of experienced teachers. Some GATE coaching institutes offer distance learning courses as well.
I am Praveen. I got AIR 1 in Instrumentation stream. I want to dedicate this to my parents and to the Gate Academy faculty. Gate Academy coaching helped me tremendously to update myself continuously.I was very impressed with the way they taught each topic in different sessions with separate material for each session.
THE GATE Academy questions covered a wide variety of topics and were similar to GATE paper standard. The online platform replicated the actual GATE test environment and the detailed and video solutions were sufficient to clear all doubts regarding the question. Thanks to THE GATE Academy team to provide such wonderful tests & platform.
To begin with, it gives me immense pleasure to Thank,Thank the institute THE GATE ACADEMY for all their help and support.Its a place to learn, explore, grow and succeed.Well it helps you brush-up your engineering knowledge and learn new things and clears your concept in such great details
I took up mechanical coaching at THE GATE ACADEMY as there is no separate coaching for Engineering Sciences in India and Mechanical and Engineering sciences have more or less common topics.I feared that cracking GATE would be very difficult because I started my preparations very late but the counsellors and teachers guided me
E Lectures helped me a lot in making a head start in the right direction. It helped whenever I got stuck in any topic. Mock Tests across 50 centers helped me judge my progress both on individual and comparative basis.
In one year’s time, I was able to prepare for GATE exam with the help of THE GATE ACADEMY and faculties. GATE Focused study materials and online mock tests helped me know my strengthen & weakness to prepare accordingly. I wish all the best to all GATE aspirants and suggest them to go through GATE coaching in case the basics are not clear.
GATE Success Story
- Our students get all India rank 1, 1, 1, 1, 4 and 4
- More than 142 students in top 100.