No item in cart
Gate: How to Prepare for the General Aptitude Segment
One section of the GATE exam that can easily elevate or dip your score is the General Aptitude section. It is one common link between different streams in your journey to GATE. The GA section is specifically designed to analyze your language and analytical skills. Regardless of which subject you opt for, General Aptitude (GA) remains invariable in the set of all the 22 optional papers. Although General Aptitude seems effortless but a little guidance and effort always confirms the result in your favour.
Here’s a look at the paper pattern and the ways to approach it, along with some sample questions to clarify concepts further:
Preparation Ideas for GA Section in Gate Exam.
- The General Aptitude section accounts to 15 marks and consists of 10 questions. Of these, 5 questions carry1 mark each while the other 5 questions fetch you 2 marks each.
- The test is broadly classified under two heads; Verbal and Numerical Ability.
- Part 1: Verbal Ability: This consists of English Grammar, Verbal Analogies Sentence Completion, Word Groups, Critical Reasoning, Instructions and Verbal Deduction.
- Part 2: Numerical Ability: This comprises Numerical Reasoning, Numerical Computation, Numerical Estimation and Data Interpretation.
Tips for Excelling in the GA Section
General Aptitude is the most easy-to-score section of the GATE exam but it is important to brush up on the basics and start preparing in advance.
- Refer your Class X Grammar book (CBSE/NCERT) to hone your grammatical ability.
- Make it a point to learn 10 new words and their usage everyday to enhance your vocabulary.
- Once a week, practice reading a short passage and try describing it in a few points. This will help you in reading and comprehension.
- Try solving language puzzles and analogies on a daily basis.
- Since the Numerical Ability section focuses on approximation skills, practice calculations without calculators and increase your speed.
- Study all the basic concepts of mathematics from your Class X textbooks.
- Practice sample papers/previous years’ papers, along with your subject papers so that you get comfortable with answering and switching your mind set from one format to another. This will also help you understand the question patterns and style.
- The Headmaster ___________ to speak to you. Which of the following options is incorrect to complete the above sentence?
(A) is wanting
(D) was wanting
- In a factory, two machines M1 and M2 manufacture 60% and 40% of the autocomponents, respectively. Out of the total production, 2% of M1 and 3% of M2 are found to be defective. If a randomly drawn auto component from the combined lot is found defective, what is the probability that it was manufactured by M2?
THE GATE Academy questions covered a wide variety of topics and were similar to GATE paper standard. The online platform replicated the actual GATE test environment and the detailed and video solutions were sufficient to clear all doubts regarding the question. Thanks to THE GATE Academy team to provide such wonderful tests & platform.
I took up mechanical coaching at THE GATE ACADEMY as there is no separate coaching for Engineering Sciences in India and Mechanical and Engineering sciences have more or less common topics.I feared that cracking GATE would be very difficult because I started my preparations very late but the counsellors and teachers guided me
To begin with, it gives me immense pleasure to Thank,Thank the institute THE GATE ACADEMY for all their help and support.Its a place to learn, explore, grow and succeed.Well it helps you brush-up your engineering knowledge and learn new things and clears your concept in such great details
E Lectures helped me a lot in making a head start in the right direction. It helped whenever I got stuck in any topic. Mock Tests across 50 centers helped me judge my progress both on individual and comparative basis.
I am Praveen. I got AIR 1 in Instrumentation stream. I want to dedicate this to my parents and to the Gate Academy faculty. Gate Academy coaching helped me tremendously to update myself continuously.I was very impressed with the way they taught each topic in different sessions with separate material for each session.
In one year’s time, I was able to prepare for GATE exam with the help of THE GATE ACADEMY and faculties. GATE Focused study materials and online mock tests helped me know my strengthen & weakness to prepare accordingly. I wish all the best to all GATE aspirants and suggest them to go through GATE coaching in case the basics are not clear.
GATE Success Story
- Our students get all India rank 1, 1, 1, 1, 4 and 4
- More than 142 students in top 100.