No item in cart
Career Trajectory of a Mechanical Engineer
Mechanical engineering is revered as the ‘mother’ of all branches of engineering. The market value of and demand for mechanical engineers is perennially on an upswing. Their expertise has always been valued in traditional manufacturing industries, such as automobiles, aviation, aerospace, shipping, power plants and machinery manufacturing. In recent times, mechanical engineers have been significantly contributing in various other fields as well, such as nanotechnology, energy conservation, environmental engineering and biomedical engineering. Engineering consulting firms are now banking upon mechanical engineering consultants, who possess a repertoire of managerial skills along with their technical proficiency. However, the factor that determines the career altitude of a mechanical engineering student is his attitude, hard work and expertise.
Things to Keep in Mind while Choosing a Mechanical Engineering Degree
There are pros and cons of any career path you choose. Knowing what these are is the best way to make an informed decision. Here’s a look at things you can look forward to when you choose to complete your mechanical engineering degree:
- Unemployment is out of question, given the plethora of job opportunities.
- Involvement in and recognition for the development of new components, gadgets and machines.
- Commendable and innovative contribution towards new frontiers of science, such as nanotechnology, environmental sciences and biomedical engineering.
- A recession or global economic meltdown will not affect the job prospects.
- Clearing the GATE exam can open the doors of well reputed PSUs and Navaratna companies in India.
However, there are some things that you should be prepared for as well, such as:
- At times the working conditions can be adverse.
- Deadlines and work pressure can be high at times and you will need to work on maintaining work-life balance.
- Some roles call for physically strenuous work, so make sure you enjoy that type of activity.
Different Job Profiles for Mechanical Engineers
The roles and responsibilities of students depend majorly on their area of specialization and the industry they are working for. Based on that, their profile will fall under the following functional segments:
- Research and Development (R&D): Research and plan for new gadgets or machines and their parts.
- Design: Draft technical drawings either manually or with the help of specific software.
- Production: Supervise the manufacturing of mechanical components and machines.
- Analysis and testing: Analyze and test different types of machines so that they perform flawlessly.
- Installation: Install machines and mechanical parts at the client location.
- Maintenance: Ensure that machinery is working as per specifications and is producing the desired results.
- Earn a Post Graduate degree from a reputed institute that accepts entry through the GATE exam or get work experience from a renowned PSU through GATE.
- Enhance your computer skills.
- Work on communication and interpersonal skills.
- A management degree can further enhance your career graph.
Tips to Getting Hired in Your Dream Company
Remember there is no substitute for hard work, so work today to shape all your tomorrows.
THE GATE Academy questions covered a wide variety of topics and were similar to GATE paper standard. The online platform replicated the actual GATE test environment and the detailed and video solutions were sufficient to clear all doubts regarding the question. Thanks to THE GATE Academy team to provide such wonderful tests & platform.
In one year’s time, I was able to prepare for GATE exam with the help of THE GATE ACADEMY and faculties. GATE Focused study materials and online mock tests helped me know my strengthen & weakness to prepare accordingly. I wish all the best to all GATE aspirants and suggest them to go through GATE coaching in case the basics are not clear.
To begin with, it gives me immense pleasure to Thank,Thank the institute THE GATE ACADEMY for all their help and support.Its a place to learn, explore, grow and succeed.Well it helps you brush-up your engineering knowledge and learn new things and clears your concept in such great details
E Lectures helped me a lot in making a head start in the right direction. It helped whenever I got stuck in any topic. Mock Tests across 50 centers helped me judge my progress both on individual and comparative basis.
I took up mechanical coaching at THE GATE ACADEMY as there is no separate coaching for Engineering Sciences in India and Mechanical and Engineering sciences have more or less common topics.I feared that cracking GATE would be very difficult because I started my preparations very late but the counsellors and teachers guided me
I am Praveen. I got AIR 1 in Instrumentation stream. I want to dedicate this to my parents and to the Gate Academy faculty. Gate Academy coaching helped me tremendously to update myself continuously.I was very impressed with the way they taught each topic in different sessions with separate material for each session.
GATE Success Story
- Our students get all India rank 1, 1, 1, 1, 4 and 4
- More than 142 students in top 100.