Importance of GATE Exam
1. Why is GATE exam so important now for fresh tech/engg graduates?
The GATE score has wide acceptance across the country and even abroad. Qualifying students have the opportunity to get placed in PSUs like BPCL, HPCL, and NTPC etc. Apart from regular ME, M.Tech, MS & PhD. students can pursue further studies easily and even opt for studying abroad, say in Singapore or Germany. They can also take up Post Graduate Diploma in Industrial Engineering from NITIE or pursue Fellowship Programme in Management from IIM.
There has been a consistent rising trend amongst PSU’s to recruit students who have valid GATE Score card. From 7 to 10 PSU’s which started a trend to hire through GATE Score in 2010-11, the figure is close to 70 – 80 PSU’s as on date. This validates the fact that GATE score is an important armor to have while searching for jobs. In fact, we anticipate core private companies to make GATE Score an eligible criterion to appear for interviews.
2. Is it because the standard of engineering studies has been falling (esp. in private colleges)? And, unless a graduate has got a good GATE score he can't get into PSUs and other top companies?
Many PSU’s have changed their policy & made GATE as pre- requisite score for entry level engineers. They choose GATE score for the below reasons:
1. Commercial aspect- Cost involved for screening the candidates and manpower cost has been saved due to GATE exam.
2. Fairness – Common platform to benchmark the student in terms of engineering concepts + general aptitude.
3. Social aspect – Since IITs and top PSUs utilize GATE exam as there selection criteria, so rest others also have pressure to adapt.
4. Inclusion- Wider base for selection. As 10 lakh aspirants appear for GATE Exam.
5. Level of exam high- As conducted by IIT & IISc. Also better candidates are filtered.
Many Private companies do not have a declared policy for GATE qualified Engineering graduates, but in practical they do prefer them as GATE qualified students have a valid accreditation in their hands. This All India Accreditation puts GATE qualified candidates ahead in the race.
3. Which are the foreign universities that consider GATE scores for Indian tech/engg graduates?
GATE score can also be used for admission into certain Universities in Singapore & Germany. Universities which are world Class University based on survey are National University of Singapore (NUS), Nanyang Technological University Singapore (NTU) & Aachen University of Germany where GATE score can be used outside India for admission to PG programs. Some programs at NUS and NTU are very competitive and comparable to the world’s best Universities.
4. Some simple tips& tricks for cracking GATE:
To begin with, the students have to understand that preparing for GATE is not a cake walk as it requires a lot of dedication and diligence. While preparing for GATE, students cannot afford to allow deviations and should concentrate entirely on it. Enthusiastic working professionals often resign from their jobs to prepare for GATE while students preparing for GATE mostly start preparing from the 3rd year of their engineering.
The preparation and time management for the engineering students differ from that of a working professional. For students, it is advisable to start the preparation early and the ideal time is the 3rd year of engineering with greater focus on Mathematics and Basic Engineering Subjects like Networks (Electronic/ Electricals/ Instrumentation) or Engineering Mechanics. Students should spend around 4-5 hours per week in the beginning and slowly increase the study hours by 20-25 hours per week during the last 6 months. Many engineering students start their preparation in their final year. This means they have to put in a lot of hard work. The final year’s engineering is quite hectic with several projects to complete. They might not find enough time for either of the two. Nevertheless, they can be successful if they have invested time on subjects from their 1st year of Engineering. Students whose fundamentals are good can qualify in GATE with even 6 months of Preparation. Those in their final year should focus more on solving the previous 10 years of Questions and do selective study.