No item in cart
An Overview of GATE 2014 Syllabus
Are you planning to start preparing for GATE 2014? If yes, then the first thing to do is to download the GATE 2014 syllabus for your subject, and study it in detail. It would be better if you can mark the topics that are unknown to you, so that you can pay more attention to those during your preparation. Here is an overview of GATE 2014 syllabus, to get you started.
GATE 2014 Syllabus: The General Structure
Broadly, the GATE 2014 Syllabus can be segregated into three major sections, the general aptitude section, the engineering mathematics section and the technical aptitude section. Here is what you should know about the general structure of the syllabus for GATE 2014 exam.
1. General Aptitude (GA) Section – The syllabus of the general aptitude section is the same for all branches. There will be multiple choice type questions of total 15 marks, with 5 questions carrying 1 mark each, and 5 questions carrying 2-marks each. Here is the syllabus for the general aptitude section.
- Verbal Ability Test – You can expect questions from English grammar, verbal analogies, sentence completion, verbal deduction, word groups, and critical reasoning.
- Numerical Ability Test – This includes questions from numerical estimation, numerical reasoning, numerical computation, and data interpretation.
2. Engineering Mathematics – There will be total 15 marks in this section. While the syllabus for engineering mathematics is not the same for all engineering branches, some branches have the same syllabus. For example, engineering mathematics syllabus for electrical engineering, electronics & communication engineering, and instrumentation engineering is the same. The engineering mathematics syllabus for each of these branches include linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, complex variables, probability and statistics, numerical methods, and transform theory.
Similarly, engineering mathematics syllabus for civil engineering, chemical engineering, and mechanical engineering is also the same. The syllabus includes linear algebra, calculus, differential equations, complex variables, and numerical methods.
On the other hand, some topics in the syllabus for computer science & IT engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, civil engineering, electronics & communication engineering, instrumentation engineering, and chemical engineering are common.
3. Technical Aptitude Section – This section carries 70 percent of the total marks and generally includes branch-specific technical questions. Quite obviously, the syllabus for this section is different for different branches. For example, the syllabus for mechanical engineering includes topics, such as, applied mechanics and design, fluid mechanics and thermal sciences, and manufacturing and industrial engineering.
It is always good idea to understand as much as you can about GATE exam before you start preparing. For best results, consider joining a GATE coaching centre that has a good reputation and track record.
I took up mechanical coaching at THE GATE ACADEMY as there is no separate coaching for Engineering Sciences in India and Mechanical and Engineering sciences have more or less common topics.I feared that cracking GATE would be very difficult because I started my preparations very late but the counsellors and teachers guided me
In one year’s time, I was able to prepare for GATE exam with the help of THE GATE ACADEMY and faculties. GATE Focused study materials and online mock tests helped me know my strengthen & weakness to prepare accordingly. I wish all the best to all GATE aspirants and suggest them to go through GATE coaching in case the basics are not clear.
THE GATE Academy questions covered a wide variety of topics and were similar to GATE paper standard. The online platform replicated the actual GATE test environment and the detailed and video solutions were sufficient to clear all doubts regarding the question. Thanks to THE GATE Academy team to provide such wonderful tests & platform.
I am Praveen. I got AIR 1 in Instrumentation stream. I want to dedicate this to my parents and to the Gate Academy faculty. Gate Academy coaching helped me tremendously to update myself continuously.I was very impressed with the way they taught each topic in different sessions with separate material for each session.
To begin with, it gives me immense pleasure to Thank,Thank the institute THE GATE ACADEMY for all their help and support.Its a place to learn, explore, grow and succeed.Well it helps you brush-up your engineering knowledge and learn new things and clears your concept in such great details
E Lectures helped me a lot in making a head start in the right direction. It helped whenever I got stuck in any topic. Mock Tests across 50 centers helped me judge my progress both on individual and comparative basis.
GATE Success Story
- Our students get all India rank 1, 1, 1, 1, 4 and 4
- More than 142 students in top 100.